What are the best miniature microwaves?
Miniature microwaves are the perfect addition to an RV, dorm room, den, or any other small space. They’re compact enough to fit almost anywhere, but are still powerful enough to do the same things a regular microwave oven does. The best miniature microwaves also come with many – if not all – of the same features as standard-size microwaves, so you don’t have to sacrifice performance or capacity for size.
Most miniature microwaves have the following dimensions:
- 10 to 12 inches tall
- 15 to 18 inches wide
- 12 to 16 inches deep
Standard range microwaves, on the other hand, typically have the following dimensions:
- 17 inches tall
- 30 inches wide
- 15 to 18 inches deep
Even the smallest and most compact microwaves can usually hold a standard plate, bowl or mug at a time. However, these appliances cannot hold multiple dishes or oversized dishes at once.
The three main types of microwaves are:
- Counter: The most versatile option, countertop microwaves come in sizes ranging from about 15 to 30 inches wide. They can fit on the counter or even inside a standard sized kitchen cabinet. Most also stand between 10 and 17 inches tall.
- Out of range: Most high-end appliances are larger because they are designed to match the width of the range below. However, there are a few more compact or medium-sized ones.
- Integrated: Built-in microwaves are similar to high-end models, but they are designed to work flush with the cabinetry around them. For this reason, they do not always correspond to the dimensions of a standard oven or stove. Instead, they use the same dimensions as most cabinets. There are miniature microwaves for small kitchens.
Color and design
Regardless of size, most of these miniature devices are sleek and modern. Many models are made of stainless steel or other types of sheet metal, which gives them a metallic appearance. Some are made with porcelain enamel.
Popular colors include:
In terms of shape, most miniature microwaves are rectangular with a square or rectangular screen. Some have a screen or rounder edges instead, which can complement a smaller or softer space.
Similar to standard microwaves, miniature versions usually come with a turntable that rotates to ensure food is heated evenly. Some models have small adjustable supports.
Although they are miniature, these devices generally have the same functions and buttons as their standard counterparts, including:
- Preset cooking times: These buttons allow you to cook or reheat specific dishes, such as pizza or popcorn, without having to worry about precisely setting the time.
- Power controls: This allows you to change the amount of energy used to cook or prepare food. For example, you can use 50% power to lightly simmer a dish, or you can set it to 100% for quick meal prep.
- Timer setting: This setting can be used to time everything you prepare, whether on the stovetop or in the oven.
- Quick cooking: These buttons require the press of a button to start cooking or heat something quickly. This is useful if the food presets do not include a specific dish. You can also use it to add 30-60 seconds at a time to the current timer.
- Cooking in stages: This feature allows the microwave to cook specific foods at different stages. For example, he might thaw or brown the meat for a few minutes before starting to cook it on the stove or in the oven. Most microwaves come with three to five stages.
- Auto sensor: An automatic sensor can measure the steam inside the device to determine when it should shut off. This eliminates the need for a timer when heating or cooking food.
When it comes to power, microwave ovens are measured in watts. For instance:
- Most standard models range of approximately 800 to 1,000 watts.
- Compact or miniature usually have between 600 and 800 watts.
- Professional microwaves have about 1000 watts.
- Energy efficient microwaves range of approximately 700 to 1,000 watts.
The higher the power, the more efficiently the appliance can cook or heat your food. However, more power can also use more energy.
The best miniature microwaves
Commercial Chef Countertop Microwave
This compact microwave fits most countertops and is ideal for small spaces. It comes with push-button controls, such as preset defrost and timer settings, or rotary controls, depending on size. It also has an LED screen. Sold by Amazon
Winia WOR07R3ZEM retro microwave
This colorful retro style microwave has 700 watts and is very compact. It has a digital readout and comes with five cooking presets with five adjustable power levels. It also has a sleep mode and will turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. Sold by Amazon
Magic Chef Countertop Microwave
With 10 power levels and a 30-second express cook button, this compact microwave fits easily on the counter. It measures just over 17 inches wide and uses 700 watts of power. The glass turntable is large enough to hold standard dishes and smaller dishes. Sold by Home deposit
Black and Decker EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven with Turntable
This miniature microwave has a full set of features, including pre-programmed buttons for frozen vegetables, drinks, potatoes, popcorn, and pizza. It also has a good sized LED display and is easy to use. It comes with a child safety lock and a push button latch instead of a handle. Sold by Amazon
Cuisinart Countertop Microwave
This sleek stainless steel appliance has eight preset settings, two defrost functions and 10 power levels. It features a 12-inch glass turntable and uses 1,000 watts of power for optimal cooking and heating. Sold by Home deposit
RCA Countertop Microwave in Black
With features like express cook and defrost, this 700-watt miniature microwave is ideal for kitchenettes, dorm rooms, and other small spaces. It has a simple design that includes a digital clock and a timer. It also has 10 power levels and can heat food evenly. Sold by Home deposit
Comfee Countertop Microwave Oven
This compact appliance uses 700 watts of power to efficiently cook and heat food evenly. It has several convenient features, such as a child safety lock, six preset cooking times and a digital display. Sold by Amazon
Magic Chef Retro Countertop Microwave
Simple and elegant, this small microwave uses classic control knobs to set the timer for up to 35 minutes and adjust the cooking power. It uses a pull handle and is energy efficient. Sold by Home deposit
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out the daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Angela Watson writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.